While meditation does not provide you with a quick fix to having quality sleep, practicing meditation over time will help you achieve better health and sleep. Currently, a lot of research is being carried out to show how meditation can be used to manage insomnia.
Some of the advantages of using mediation during bedtime include:
1. Stress And Anxiety
In the modern day, there are higher likelihoods of getting stressed, making it important for you to be keen on your stress and anxiety levels. Reflection helps reduce stress and anxiety levels by relaxing the mind and offering you inner peace.
2. Causes Your Body To Relax
Meditation techniques help you have control of your breathing and focus on the current moment. That triggers your mind towards relaxing and creates a conducive environment for you to doze off. According to studies, meditation also relaxes your body by lowering your heart rate and increasing melatonin levels. We also have some gummies to help increase melatonin
3. Striking A Balance In The Nervous System
The nervous system has three main systems:
-The autonomic nervous system has two main parts and roles. One of the parts takes care of sleep while the other is responsible for helping you remain alert.
– There is also the sympathetic nervous system which controls inflammation and arousal, among other functions.
– Finally, there is the parasympathetic system which acts as a brake on inflammation and relaxation. If you need help with relaxation try our CBD gummies.
The sympathetic nervous system often dominates, causing an imbalance in the nervous system. Research has shown that proper meditation significantly reduces the imbalance.
4. Helps With Several Ailments, Including Depression
A study conducted in 2015 showed that meditation improved sleep quality by taking care of sleep-related issues such as insomnia, fatigue, and depression. Another study was conducted where one group was subjected to 10-30 minutes of meditation daily while the other was taken through a sleep education class. These two activities took place within the same duration. The group that was taken through mindful awareness practices was found to have reduced signs of insomnia and decreased fatigue.
Most pharmacological medications involve the use of chemicals and hence cause side effects. Meditation, on the contrary, has no side effects, is free, and is available to all like many sleep aids. What is more, it is fun.
Guidelines On How You Should Meditate Before Going To Bed
1. Ways Of Meditating
There is a wide range of methods that you can use for meditation. Meditation can be done alone, using an app, or in a group. Regardless of the method you use to meditate, it is recommended that you do it for at least an hour every day. It will help you reap the benefits of mindful awareness practice other than allowing you to relax to sleep.
You should meditate in a quiet and peaceful environment. You should be able to control your breath by taking deep breaths at first and then getting a natural breathing pattern. Ensure that you are aware of your surroundings. Your awareness should take place as an observer and not as a participant.
Acknowledge all the thoughts that flood your mind. Quickly and easily disconnect from them and, letting go of the past and future, concentrate on the present.
When you are new to meditation, it is difficult to maintain a high focus level. That should never bother you. It gets better with time.
Judgmental thoughts are likely to catch up as you try to meditate. Try as much as you can to go through your thoughts and later let them go with zero judgment. The more you focus on the present, the easier it is for such thoughts to fade away.
Tips For Successful Mindful Awareness Practice
During meditation, you should ensure that you lay out all interruptions and anxieties. All your concentration should be on the present. Here are some tips you could use to improve your mediation.
– Use a secure place
– Have a time limit. If you are a beginner, you can start with 10 minutes
– Use a stable and immobile sitting position. You can choose to kneel or have your legs crossed.
– Pay attention to your breath every time
– Be keen to note when your mind drifts away and try to bring it back to the present
– Be patient with yourself, especially if you are a beginner. Do not be upset if your mind wanders.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR)
It is common to experience rigidity in your body due to stress. If this ever happens, you can always use progressive muscle relaxation (PMR) to clear the rigidity. PMR involves seizing and then setting free a group of muscles simultaneously. Here are some tips for progressive muscle relaxation.
– Start from the upper parts of your body and move downwards
– Breath heavily as you intentionally make one group of your muscles as rigid as possible. That might be uncomfortable but is never painful.
-Breath out heavily and quickly relax the rigid group of muscles
– Take 30 seconds of rest as you work on different muscle groups
– Do not forget to check your breathing as you move from one muscle group to another
Body Scan Meditation
Like progressive muscle relaxation, body scan meditation eliminates any form of tension. It requires you to scan your body parts, each at a time, picking up your body sensations from each part. Like progressive muscle relaxation, you should start from your head and finish with your feet.
Some of the tips for effective body Scan Meditation include:
– Get a comfy position, even if it means laying down
– Make sure your breathing is slow and steady
– As you scan through the body parts, do not ignore any bit of pain or physical sensation
– Imagine the rigidity leaving your body parts after the scan
– Ensure you scan all parts of your body
– Do not be in a rush
It refers to the act where you carry out mindful awareness practice by using a guide. This kind of meditation can be done using a one-on-one meditation guide or through a phone or computer. Here is how you should carry out guided mediation.
1. If you are using a computer or phone, it is advisable that you turn off all other notifications to avoid distractions. You can opt to put your phone on airplane mode though not all phones allow you to usage when on airplane mode.
2. Find a secure space where you can be comfortable
3. Close your eyes and control your breathing
4. Lastly, allow the guide to take over as you follow through
For many people CBD can help them meditation
This kind of meditation helps you relax and eliminate stress by being optimistic. All your focus should be on an encouraging phrase or mantra. Here is how to go about affirmation meditation.
1. Do a critical analysis about what aspect of your life you would love to improve or change. It could be an area of struggle.
2. After identifying the area, choose a mantra full of positive words that address the issue you need to improve.
3. Choose phrases that lean more toward the positive. You could opt for “I am disciplined” instead of “I am not indisciplined.”
4. Focus on the present. You could opt for “I am disciplined” instead of “I will be disciplined.”
5. Ensure that your breathing pattern remains as natural as possible.
6. Continually imagine scenes that give you a sense of empowerment, happiness, and affirmation.
Loving Kindness Meditation
This kind of mediation helps you develop a positive connection to the rest of the world by embracing love and kindness for you and others. Some tips for effective, loving-kindness meditation include:
– Speak out positive phrases again and again. Use phrases such as “May I be happy” and “May I be safe.”
– Think of a person you love dearly and speak the same phrases about them. Use phrases such as “May daddy be happy” and “May daddy be safe.”
– Use the phrases a third time, speaking the phrases to an individual you know is struggling. -. The fourth time, use the phrases on somebody you are not very familiar with but have interacted with before.
– The fifth time, use the name of a person you don’t like.
– Finally, use the phrases on the entire world.